Queer Emerging Artist Award
The Buddies Queer Emerging Artist Award recognizes and encourages the achievements of queer artists who are founding careers in the theatre while engaging with the community.
This award is made possible by a gift from the estate of John Alan Lee.
Nominations are now open for the 2018 Buddies Queer Emerging Artist Award. Please read through the eligibility and evaluation criteria before continuing on to the nomination form.
Nomination deadline: Friday, June 29, 2018
Award recipients are chosen by a panel of adjudicators comprised of the current and former Artistic Directors of the company: Evalyn Parry, Brendan Healy, David Oiye, Sarah Garton Stanley, and Sky Gilbert. The recipient will receive a $1,000 cash prize.
GUIDELINES FOR ELIGIBILITY
Recipients for this award must:
- Be nominated by an individual or group (nominators may not nominate more than one individual per year);
- Be involved in professional arts community and work as a professional artist in the theatre and/or performance communities;
- Be recognized as an emerging artist as evidenced by their body of work;*
- Identify within the queer spectrum;**
- Reside and work primarily in Canada;
- Not have previously received this award.
- Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
- The nominee fully meets the eligibility criteria.
- The value and rigor of the nominee’s body of work.
- The nominee demonstrates a commitment to further developing their career.
- Evidence that the nominee’s work enters into a conversation with broader ideas and aesthetics within queer culture.
- The impact of the nominee’s work on the queer arts community.
**Note: For the purpose of this award, Buddies uses queer as a word to encompass the identities of people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, transsexual, two-spirited, or queer.Nomination Form
Questions? Get in touch with us at email@example.com.