queer emerging artist award
The Buddies Queer Emerging Artist Award recognizes and encourages the achievements of queer artists who are founding careers in the theatre while engaging with the community.
This award is made possible by a gift from the estate of John Alan Lee.
Award recipients are chosen by a panel of adjudicators comprised of the current and former Artistic Directors of the company: Evalyn Parry, Brendan Healy, David Oiye, Sarah Garton Stanley, and Sky Gilbert. The recipient will receive a $1,000 cash prize. This award will be announced at a public ceremony on September 30, 2017 at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre.
GUIDELINES FOR ELIGIBILITY
Recipients for this award must:
- Be nominated by an individual or group (nominators may not nominate more than one individual per year);
- Be involved in professional arts community and work as a professional artist in the theatre and/or performance communities;
- Be recognized as an emerging artist as evidenced by their body of work;*
- Identify within the queer spectrum;**
- Not have previously received this award.
- Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
- The nominee fully meets the eligibility criteria.
- The value and rigor of the nominee’s body of work.
- The nominee demonstrates commitment to further developing their career.
- Evidence that the nominee’s work enters into a conversation with broader ideas and aesthetics within queer culture.
- The impact of the nominee’s work on the queer arts community.
*Note: Buddies will use the Canada Council for the Arts criteria to distinguish between emerging and mid-career artists (e.g. up to ten years professional experience).
**Note: For the purpose of this award, Buddies uses queer as a word to encompass the identities of people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, transsexual, two-spirited, or queer.