Buddies in Bad Times Theatre is looking for 2SLGBTQ+ volunteers to serve on our Board of Directors for a term of 3 years.
We are looking for folks who are eager to support transformation and change, and who are curious about what governance can look like for a queer organization.
We imagine that you are insightful, empathetic, inclusive, respectful, and possess great interpersonal skills. You are passionate about supporting queer communities through queer arts and culture, and you want to help ensure a healthy and thriving future for Buddies in Bad Times Theatre and the communities it supports.
View the full call below, or download it here.Call-for-Board-Members-Summer-2023
Role of the Board
The Board is responsible for ensuring that Buddies in Bad Times Theatre is a thriving, vital theatre company, both in its internal operations and in its external position and profile in the broader community. This means it is responsible for ensuring that Buddies is being managed and operated in ways that are healthy and sustainable.
The Board is made up of committed volunteers with a passion for Buddies, who bring their skills, knowledge, and experiences to the table for the benefit of the theatre.
Some of the Board’s particular responsibilities include:
- hiring/evaluating leadership (i.e. Artistic Director, Managing Director, other reports to the Board);
- approving the annual season’s activities in line with the theatre’s mandate;
- approving the annual budget and providing financial oversight;
- participating in strategic planning;
- determining and evaluating progress towards the theatre’s long-range strategic plans.
Board Members are expected to be available for 5-8 hours per month to:
- Attend 1 monthly board meeting (typically in the evening, held virtually at the moment)
- Receive and review materials in between meetings
- Be engaged in discussions and work
- Participate in smaller working groups or committees, as required
Benefits of being on the Board include the
- Meet and connect with other folks committed to supporting queer arts
- Learn and develop knowledge and skills related to non-profit arts governance
- Get access to events happening at the theatre
- Have fun!
Established in 1979, Buddies in Bad Times Theatre is the largest and longest-running queer theatre company in the world. Buddies is a world leader in developing queer voices and stories for the stage. Buddies is an organization (organism) of 30+ employees, contract and hourly staff, as well as volunteers and guests. Our theatre is housed in a City-owned building, situated on Indigenous land, nestled between gritty and gentrified, queer and mainstream neighbouring cultures. We offer a year-round program that includes a full season of queer theatre, new works festivals, artist residencies, and intergenerational training and education initiatives.
Over the past three years, we have upheld our mission to support queer voices by simultaneously changing the company’s practices and policies that are complicit in racism, anti-Blackness, ableism, and other barriers to participation, and producing 15+ shows/projects, supporting 500+ artists, developing 20+ tours and new works, and welcoming over 20,000 patrons online and in-person.
Interested in the Board opportunity but want to find out more? We are hosting drop-in info sessions. To register, please fill out this form.
- In-person: Wednesday, September 6
- Virtual (zoom): Thursday, September 7
To express your interest, please complete the online application form (which you can respond to with text or by uploading an audio or video recording) and upload your resume or cover letter.
The application form asks you to respond to the following questions:
- Tell us about your connection to, interest in, and/or passion for Buddies and/or other queer theatre communities.
- Tell us what skills, knowledge, and experiences you have that you can bring to the table, please specify any non-profit experience you have.
- How do you anticipate responding to feedback and recommendations brought forward by community members?
Apply here: https://forms.gle/cWSh3z9YaUMUaqEF6
Due Date: We will accept applications on a rolling basis. The first round of applications will be reviewed starting September 15, 2023.
For more information or any questions, email email@example.com