IS BUDDIES A BAR, A THEATRE, OR WHAT?
It’s both. Buddies in Bad Times is a professional theatre company dedicated to the production and development of queer plays. We’ve been around since 1979 and are the largest and longest-running queer theatre in the world. On the weekend, we host late night events to raise money for our theatre and community programming. All the proceeds from the bar go directly to the theatre, which makes late nights at Buddies the most fun you’ve ever had supporting the arts.
You just found it. Our shady Tallulah’s patio.
Every weekend, our cabaret opens its doors to The Village for some conversation and beverages by twinkle lights. Join us on our patio (!) adjacent the Alexander Street Parkette! Come say hi to Patricia, enjoy a drink, and if you’re lucky, catch a performance.
Friday, 4 – 10PM
Saturday, 4 – 10PM
Sunday, 4 – 10PM
Patio poetry happens every Sunday at 5PM. Sign up in person beginning at 4:30PM. Limited spots available.
Pandemic Poetry Project
Last summer, poetry lovers/haters joined us on the patio to read and write their own musings on life, love and the pandemic. With the help of host and writer David Bateman, a Pandemic Poetry Project has been published and is available for sale at the bar for $20. Swing by during operating hours and get your copy of the poetry chap book featuring over 25 writers from summer 2020.
We’re excited to be able to welcome you back to Tallulah’s! In order to keep staff and patrons safer at this time, we have the following rules in place:
- When patrons arrive at Buddies, we’ll be asking for contact information for contact tracing purposes.
- On the patio and inside, patrons must remain seated, and respect physical distancing.
- Patrons must wear a mask when circulating in the building (i.e. to use the washrooms).
- Orders will be taken by a server at patrons’ tables.
- Payment by card (credit, VISA, Mastercard) is encouraged during this time, however we will also accept cash. There is an ATM in the basement of the building.
How to not be a Jackass
Buddies is part of a diverse neighbourhood of businesses, bars, and people’s apartments – we ask that when you come to party on the weekend that you treat our neighbourhood, our neighbours, and your fellow party-goers with respect.
Tip your bartender.
Consent is sexy.
Our bathroom is for folks of all genders.
Graphic Design + Lettering by Chris Rouleau