Position Type: full-time
Department: Bar / Concessions
Reports To: Bar Manager and/or Managing Director
Application Deadline: September 13, 2019
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who is Smart Serve certified, has first-hand experience working in bar/concessions or a related field, possesses strong customer service skills, and is motivated to excel in the hospitality industry. An understanding of theatre and the arts is also beneficial.
Established in 1979, Buddies in Bad Times Theatre is a professional Canadian theatre company dedicated to the development and presentation of queer theatre. Over the past 40 years, it has evolved from a small production company into the largest and longest-running queer theatre company in the world. The theatre sits in the heart of Toronto’s Church-Wellesley Village, and its primary constituencies are the city’s queer and arts communities. In addition to being a theatre, Buddies is a popular events venue with regular community and late-night events occurring year-round.
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender, Indigenous, BIPOC, d/Deaf and disabled applicants. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments – if you require accommodations at any point in the application or recruitment process please submit them in confidence to email@example.com
- Ensures a consistently high level of customer service with a particular focus on regular clientele.
- Acting as a Manager-On-Duty in absence of Bar Manager, overseeing proper cash handling, inventory, waste disposal, and security procedures, and supervising accurate cash-out procedures at end of shift.
- Ensuring inventory and supplies are stocked and secured, assists with regular maintenance and control of inventory of liquor and bar supplies, and provides accurate floats for shift workers.
- Works with Bar Manager and Managing Director to train and supervise all bar staff, including Coat Check and Security, to ensure a high level of customer service and an adherence to company policies while fostering a high level of team spirit.
- Maintains regular communication with Box Office Manager and other senior positions to monitor situations, which may impact service.
- Enforces theatre policies/procedures as determined by the Managing Director and/or Artistic Director.
- Promotes and practices relevant health/safety and fire standards.
- Attends weekly management meetings.
- Communicates a positive attitude, has a sincere interest and interacts in a positive way with management and staff alike.
- Assists with the promotion of bar nights as necessary.
- Other duties as set forth by the Bar Manager pertaining to the bar.
- Equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service
- Basic accounting and mathematical skills
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of basic computer programs
- Enjoys dealing with the public
- Informed of and obeys relevant legislation regarding service of liquor
- Strong supervisory and organizational skills
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain a calm and cheerful manner under pressure
- Ability to delegate, motivate and encourage others
- Must be able to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
- Prepared to problem solve and report to the Bar Manager and/or Managing Director
To apply, please send resume with cover letter to the attention of Patricia Wilson, Bar Manager by Friday, August 23, 2019, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include references.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview are contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries. All applications are considered confidential.