Assistant Box Office/Front of House Manager, Buddies in Bad Times Theatre
Position Type: Full-time, salary
Department: Box Office
Posting Date: November 17, 2021
Closing Date: December 10, 2021
Start Date: January 10, 2022
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, a not-for-profit, professional theatre company dedicated to the promotion of Queer Canadian Culture, is accepting applications for the entry level position of Assistant Box Office/Front of the House Manager.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who wants to join the team at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, Canada’s Home for Queer Culture. Reporting to the Box Office/Front of House Manager, the Assistant Box Office/Front of House Manager will be responsible for managing box office staff, order processing and overseeing general box office operations at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. In the absence of the Box Office/Front of House Manager, the assistant is responsible for the running of the box office as Duty Manager.
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender, Indigenous, BIPOC, d/Deaf and disabled applicants. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments – if you require accommodations at any point in the application or recruitment process please submit them in confidence to email@example.com.
- Promote high standards of customer service
- Process ticket orders
- Lead, train and supervise Ticket Agents
- Inform and uphold Box Office policy in alignment with organizational standards
- Manage and resolve medium level customer service concerns
- Support the Box Office Manager in the preparation of reports and schedules, as required
- Supervise day-to-day Box Office operations
- Coordinate/assist with verification of COVID-19 vaccination status of patrons and other stakeholders entering the building
- Oversee and schedule the theatre’s volunteer program (4-5 hours per week)
- Assists with financial reconciliations and cash management, including bank deposits as required
- Provide support and show-specific information to all patrons in a timely and professional manner
- Interact with frustrated customers in a positive manner
- Act as duty manager in the absence of the Box Office/Front of House Manager
- Other reasonable duties as required
- Equivalent work experience and appreciation for the Arts
- Experience on the Arts Management Theatre Manager software an asset but not essential
- Cash management experience required
- Enthusiastic, ambitious and self-motivated
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Must be dependable, punctual, and able to work collaboratively
- Willingness to problem solve and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to delegate, motivate and encourage others
- Will be required to work evenings, weekends and some holidays
- Adept with PCs with Windows OS and MS Word and MS Excel software
- Is queer positive and is respectful of difference
- Must be able to multitask and work in a fast paced, high stress environment
All employees at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In order to be considered, all candidates must provide proof of vaccination at least two weeks prior to their employment start date.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a resume with a cover letter to Julia Lewis, Box Office and Front of House Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 10th. Please include the names and emails/phone numbers of 2 references.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview are contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential.
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre is Toronto’s leading destination for artistically rigorous alternative theatre and a world leader in developing queer voices and stories for the stage. Buddies offers a year-round program that includes a full season of queer theatre, new works festivals, artist residencies, and intergenerational training and education initiatives.
We have dedicated time over the last year addressing the company’s inherent complicity in perpetuating racism, anti-Blackness, and ableism. There is a new section to our website dedicated to updating our community on the ongoing work towards better equity practices in an effort to remain accountable to this very important work. To learn more visit: Organizational Review & Transformation — Buddies in Bad Times Theatre