Position Type: part-time hourly/ non-exempt of overtime
Department: Box Office/ Front of House
Reports To: Box Office and Front of House Manager
Application Deadline: August 23, 2019
Start Date: September 13th, 2019
We are looking for someone logical, responsible, and someone who performs well in a fast paced environment. Most importantly, someone who is excited to join the team at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre.
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender, Indigenous, BIPOC, d/Deaf and disabled applicants. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments – if you require accommodations at any point in the application or recruitment process please submit them in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
Established in 1979, Buddies in Bad Times Theatre is a professional Canadian theatre company dedicated to the development and presentation of queer theatre. Over the past 40 years, it has evolved from a small production company into the largest and longest-running queer theatre company in the world. The theatre sits in the heart of Toronto’s Church-Wellesley Village, and its primary constituencies are the city’s queer and arts communities. In addition to being a theatre, Buddies is a popular events venue with regular community and late-night events occurring year-round.
- Processes all telephone and walk up ticket orders (including subscriptions and donations)
- Ensures the security of box office revenue
- Advises patrons about seating and pricing
- Informs the Managers when supplies are running low
- Knowledgeable of performance schedules and marketing strategies relevant to ticket sales
- Follows all box office policies and procedures as set forth by BO/FOH management
- Maintains an accurate float count and completes accurate cash out procedures at the end of shift
- Informs the Manager on duty of all significant overages/shortages found during the cash out procedure
- Provides the best customer service possible to all patrons entering the theatre
- Responds accurately to patron inquiries pertaining to the box office, including but not limited to the length of show/run, warnings, age specific restrictions, local restaurants, parking and concerns regarding service charges.
- Informs BO/FOH management of patrons with special needs who will be attending a performance, so that they may be accommodated efficiently and appropriately
- Collects tickets and hands out show specific programs
- Watches the performance that they are scheduled to work, unless otherwise informed and monitors audience for potential problems
- Responsible for showing up on time, signing in and out at the beginning and end of each shift and must be present when they are on the clock and prepared to fulfil any work responsibilities
- Will be required to work evenings, weekends and holidays
- Demonstrates excellence in customer service
- Basic accounting and mathematical skills
- Enjoys dealing with the public and volunteers
- Ability to maintain a calm and cheerful manner under pressure
- Equivalent work experience and appreciation for the Arts
- Experience with the Arts Management Theatre Manager software an asset but not essential
- Cash management experience
- Must be dependable, punctual, and a team player
- Enthusiastic, ambitious, and self-motivated
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Is queer-positive and is respectful of difference
To apply, please send resume with cover letter to Stephanie Malek, Box Office and Front of House Manager at email@example.com by Friday, August 23rd. Please include 2 references.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview are contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries. All applications are considered confidential.