THE 38th RHUBARB FESTIVAL
February 15-26, 2017
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, Toronto
Festival Director: Mel Hague
Over the past thirty-seven years of Rhubarb, the Festival has become an integral part of Buddies in Bad Times’ continued devotion to pushing the boundaries of Theatre and Performance. In two weeks of programming over 100 artists will converge on Buddies to create, inspire, and be inspired. Rhubarb seeks to provide artists with the space and support to create new works that are honest, powerful, and memorable.
This year, Rhubarb seeks to grow our reputation for being the space in Toronto to incubate and explore the cutting edge of ideas in performance.
Special Project Call – The RHUBARB HAUNTED HOUSE
Performance Date: February 15, 2017
Deadline: November 4, 2016 at midnight
The Rhubarb Haunted House invites artists who have previously participated in the Rhubarb Festival to return for one night to perform the ghost of a previous Rhubarb show. As the home for the Rhubarb Festival, the Buddies in Bad Times Space has been host to the creative energies of thousands of artists in its walls. For one night only we are looking to summon the creative spirits and re-stage the works of Rhubarbs past.
The Rhubarb Haunted House will transform the Buddies spaces into a full facility installation/gallery setting featuring the work of multiple artists reengaging with work previously staged at the Rhubarb Festival.
The Ghost Performances can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours in length. Your audience will be moving through the space, and so these pieces should be self contained and will invite a casual viewer/performer relationship unless you explicitly state how you would contain an audience for a period of time.
We are looking for individuals and collectives from a variety of disciplinary practice backgrounds including: Theatre and Performance, Visual Art, Dance, Music.
SPECIAL PROJECT CALL: The RHUBARB HAUNTED HOUSE
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: November 4, 2016 at midnight
In your project proposal, please include:
- A description of the specific project that you would like to present at the Rhubarb Haunted House, including when it was previously staged at Rhubarb.
- Any requirements for the work (space, technical, or audience engagement).
In your project proposal, also consider:
- How have you changed as an artist? How has the world around us changed since you last engaged with this work? How does that impact you now as you re-enter the artistic experiments of your younger self?
- Why do you want to recreate this work at this point in your development as an artist?
- How did this piece challenge you or your artistic practice?
Please include the following in your application package:
- Your Project Proposal (2 Pages Max)
- A writing sample of either the proposed work or previous work (where applicable)
- Bios of all confirmed participants in the project
- Links to images or videos if applicable
Please note that the Rhubarb Festival will ONLY be accepting applications by email for the RHUBARB HAUNTED HOUSE.
- Please format your application as one .PDF file
- Completed applications can be emailed to Mel Hague at firstname.lastname@example.org